Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Happy Birthday, Dr. Seuss!


Everyone has their favorite Dr. Seuss book or Dr. Seuss line. Here are some of my favorite quotes. Please share some of your favorites!

“You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.”

“If you never did you should. These things are fun and fun is good.”

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.”

“I know up on the top you are seeing great sights, but down at the bottom we, too, should have rights.”

"Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You."

"Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not."

"You're off to Great Places! Today is your day! Your mountain is waiting, So... get on your way!"

'The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go.'

"Think left and think right and think low and think high. Oh, the thinks you can think up if only you try !"

"I like nonsense, it wakes up the brain cells."

"Be who you are, say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind"

"A person’s a person, no matter how small."

“I’m afraid sometimes you’ll play lonely games too, games you can’t win because you’ll play against you.”

“Today was good. Today was fun. Tomorrow is another one.”

6 comments:

  1. A trip down memory lane - thank you, Judy. Thank you, Theodor Geisel!

    Can't remember quotes, but my favorite books were:

    HORTON HATCHES AN EGG
    GREEN EGGS AND HAM
    ONE FISH, TWO FISH, RED FISH, BLUE FISH

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still say to my son, who is always late, "Just go, go, go. Please do, do ,do."

    "Marvin K. Mooney Will You PLease Go Now!" was a big favorite in our house.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our family loved the ending of THE 500 HATS OF BARTHOLOMEW CUBBINS - when no one could explain how the strange thing had happened - "it just 'happened to happen' and was not very likely to happen again."

    Our kids used to explain accidents like a smashed garage window as, "it happened to happen."

    ReplyDelete
  4. Around here, we love THE CAT IN THE HAT. Sorry I can't remember an exact quote right now, but the cat's mischief was just wonderful and soooo funny!

    When I was little, my dad used to read me "the birthday bird of katroo" for my birthday. I loved it so much that now I'm trying to pass on the tradition to my own boys.

    And, of course, there's THE LORAX. What a magnificent story!

    (And my Father-in-Law would tell us the story of the GREEN EGGS AND HAM Dartmouth connection.)

    So many wonderful Dr. Seuss memories!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant what I said and I said what I meant, an elephant's faithful 100 percent. (Gotta love Horton.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Also, "You'll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut" and "I can read with my eyes wide shut." I hope I got that right, I can't locate the book.

    ReplyDelete