Monday, April 9, 2012

Poetry Suggestions?

In honor of National Poetry Month, my 5-year-old and I are trying to share at least a poem a day together. With some of the wonderful poetry collections we have been reading, sometimes it can be hard to stop at just one.

My son has loved the poems in Douglas Florian's "Monster Motel" and Kenn Nesbitt's poems have also been a big hit, especially "Please Don't Read This Poem". (My 5-year-old says, "Please do".)

We even found a beautiful picture book edition of "Stopping By Woods on a Snowy Evening". Yay!

Having started the month off on such a roll, I am asking for your suggestions to help keep us going. What great poets / poetry collections would you introduce to a 5-year-old to?

(It can be so sad to me when I often see so little children's poetry stocked on bookstore shelves. I hope that we can turn my son and other young children into poetry fans. Let's help those poetry collections fly off the shelves!)

5 comments:

  1. Brianna,
    Douglas Florian has so many excellent titles you could spend the month with him!
    Also look for the volumes by Kristine O'Connell George and to mix it up, how about some of the A.A. Milne classics?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Gale!
    I definitely agree about Douglas Florian. He did an author visit at my school once. (Oh, how I wish I'd been taking notes with all those great author visits!)

    And I just took out Toasting Marshmallows by Kristine O'Connell George. It was a big hit! (I loved introducing him to some non-rhyming poetry.) Definitely have to get hold of some more of her wonderful collections!

    And we are definitely A.A. Milne fans over here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My girls always loved Shel Silverstein, Jack Prelutsky, and Kenn Nesbitt. If I can find any of their other favorites, I'll come back and post again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Constance LombardoApril 10, 2012 at 9:47 PM

    I love Jack Prelutsky's The Dragon's Are Singing Tonight. (especially I AM BOOM!) and Adam Rex's Frankenstein Makes a Sandwich.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much for the recommendations, guys!

    Ruth-- He is already loving Kenn Nesbitt and I definitely have to introduce him to Shel Silverstein and Jack Prelutsky!

    Constance-- These titles both sound awesome! We will have to check them out!

    ReplyDelete